Greydon the Swamp Monster


PROMPT:


STORY:

Every year was the same.  The marsh, the trees, the rocks.  Even Penelope.  Wandering back and forth and back and forth across the rocks, stopping from time to time to think.  It was only the spring when she was gone. 
It was the end of Spring this time of year.  Penelope was supposed to be coming back. 
Penelope was my best friend.  The only one with courage or sympathy enough to cast a glance at me.  Ever since Hale, the goddess of the moon, cast a terrible spell on the me, Penelope was my best friend.  But she hadn’t come back.
She was fifteen years old and the Spring was when she had her time to go visit her favorite place on earth – the cliffs that were at the end of the island.  All I knew of them was that they were beautiful.  I knew what beauty was, for I looked at it every day of the year except Spring: Penelope.  She had long, brown hair and sparkling blue eyes.  She faithfully came back to me every year, but it was past the time she usually came and I was worried. 
The end of the third month rolled around.  I always missed Penelope every year, but this year I was contented with a school of flapper worms.  Small bold creatures they are.  This is one of the few years they stay in my marsh.  I enjoyed them and they swam under me and all around me.  
One early morning,  the sun moved abruptly.  I knew it would happen, but I was dreading it: Summer.  It made me hot and sticky and all the other horrid things that come with the sun.  But it worried me most this time.  Penelope had promised, when she first met me, to always come back before summer began.  Summer had begun and I was as nervous as a knucklehead.  There could only be two reasons she wasn’t here: one, she was captured or prevented some way by someone else, or two… I didn’t like to think about it.
Death was the only other option. 
I could imagine her now, falling down her beautiful cliffs with a cry so loud I heard it in my melting heart.  I so wished to die now; I felt like there was nothing to live for.  The love of my life, the beauty of the world.  A slow and sad song played on the strings of my heart.  I couldn’t even go to her burning!  Burning was the most important part of a person's afterlife: that way they could rest peacefully instead of in a burning pit. 
I struggled to stay calm.  It took days to realize the truth: she had died.  I knew it.  
It was only the fourth day after summer arrived when I saw a small dot off in the distance.  A speck at first, but when it came closer, I could make out a human.  I used to be one and I know what they look like.  It frightened me but also filled me with hope, even though I knew no one could ever take Penelope’s place. 
As the figure came to the rocks, I saw what it was.  It, like Penelope, was a little girl.  But much, much smaller.  About a year old.  This was when humans first began to speak and become intelligent.  She looked up at me.  I tried to shrink away from her thoughtful and adorable stare.  Her brown hair swayed back and forth and as I gathered enough courage to look into her eyes, I saw to my complete astonishment and joy that they were exactly like Penelope’s!  I shook with awe as the little human, so much like my lovely Penelope, spoke in a clear voice across the marsh from me. 

“Greydon the Swamp Monster.” 
I looked up with surprise.  She knew my name! 
“I am Eden, your would-be daughter if the evil goddess Hale had not torn my mother and your true form away from you.  I have come to bring you news both good and bad.  Which shall I tell you first?” she asked in a kind, sweet voice that melted my heart, but encouraged my soul.

In my groggy, shameful voice, I began, “The bad.  I dare say I already know what it is.  My dearest daughter, are you coming to stay, sweet one?”


Eden smiled a smile just like her mother.  “I love you just like my mother did.”  She descended the rocks and crossed the marsh, carefully carrying a piece of paper I had not noticed before above her head so it wouldn’t be ruined.  “The bad news I’m sure you have guessed.  Penelope was struck dead this morning by Hale.  I was born a year ago, but my mother kept it a secret until she died. 
"I was told to read to you this piece of paper that I have guarded so carefully all these years.  Here is the good news which you have already told me part of: I will stay by your side until I die as well.  The other part is that the fight of the gods erupted in chaos this morning.  As Hale’s last action, she killed my mother.  Now Hale is no more and has been sent to the fire pit.  Ashwey, god of earth, is the only god left who possesses the power to deliver you from the spell which Hale put on you.”  Eden tugged at my hand.  “Would you help me up?” she pleaded. 
I began to smile, but remembered just in time that not even Penelope, who loved almost every part of me, hated to see my fangs.  I gave her a kind look, or at least what I thought was kind.  I held out my hand and she scrambled up onto it.  I set her down on my knee and she comfortably snuggled into my long fur. 
 

“Here’s what the paper says:


"My most loving Greydon, I wish you to know my deepest feelings on a matter which only involves you.  From my youth, I loved you. But my mother and father forbade me from marrying you.  When Hale finally struck a spell on you and made you a Swamp Monster, my parents were possessed with grievous regrets about not letting me marry you and still, I’m sure, regret it to this day.  I love you with all my heart.  I have sent Eden Carroll to you as a replacement and as a substitute for me.  Last of all, I have sent with her my heart's desire: a wish that you would care for my daughter and love her the way you loved me.  I will remember you forever, my amazing and special Greydon. With all my heart and all my love, 

~ Penelope


"And that’s what it says!”  Eden cheerfully ended her story.  Suddenly, she shook with cold as a freezing drop of water soaked her to the skin.  She shrieked and looked around.
 
 
“I’m sorry,” sobbed Greydon.  Another tear fell, but Eden dodged it.  She climbed as fast as she could up to his head and patted it softly.  “I will stay here for you, Greydon.  I will never leave your side,” she comforted. 
Suddenly, the ground shook violently.  Eden nearly fell off Greydon’s head.  She watched in terror as a voice spoke deeply into the air.

“I am Ashwey, good god of earth.  I pronounce you, Greydon the Swamp Monster, free from the spell which my enemy Hale put on you.  You are free.”  The words appeared in the sky and suddenly transformed into a twisting swirl that came closer and closer until Eden and Greydon were both twirling with it. 
When they were set back down onto the ground, the marsh had turned into a cool relaxing pool of water.  The muck had left and the rocks across the way were now grassy hills. 
Greydon was a man, a big strong man, with Eden on his head.  He had a big beard and a kind look. 
He smiled and for once in what felt like a million years, he was not ashamed of his smile. 
END


PROMPT BY: KEI ACEDERA
STORY BY: LUSILE ARCHMAN

Comments

Post a Comment